Are you wondering how to move a website to a new hosting provider? Moving a website is no easy task and requires some technical knowledge. But don’t worry, this guide will provide you with the exact steps you need to take to successfully transfer your website to a new host. We’ll cover the process from start to finish, from signing up to a new hosting provider to filing a migration request with your new web host. You’ll also find out the best practices for moving your website with zero downtime.
How to Move a Website to a New Host?
The process of transferring your website to a new host can be broken down into 9 steps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign Up to a New Hosting Provider – First, you’ll need to find a reliable hosting provider and sign up for a hosting plan. Make sure to check the hosting provider’s features, pricing and customer service.
- Save Your Website’s Files – You’ll need to save all the files from your existing website and move them to your new hosting provider. For this, you’ll need to use an FTP client to transfer the files.
- Export Your Database – You’ll need to export your website’s database from your existing host. Most hosts will provide a tool for exporting your database, such as phpMyAdmin.
- Create a Database – You’ll then need to create a new database at your new hosting provider. Most hosting providers will provide a tool for creating a database.
- Add Your Domain Name at Your New Host – You’ll need to add your domain name to your new hosting provider’s system. This can usually be done with a few clicks.
- Move Your Site’s Files Using FTP – You’ll need to use FTP to transfer your website’s files from your old host to your new host. Most FTP clients will make this process fairly straightforward.
- Export Your Site’s Database from Your Existing Host – You’ll need to export your site’s database from your existing host. Once again, most hosting providers will provide a tool for exporting your database.
- Import Your Database to Your New Host – You’ll need to import your database to your new hosting provider. Most hosting providers will provide a tool for importing your database.
- File a Migration Request with Your New Web Host – Usually all you need to do is to provide login data at your old host – hostname, control panel, etc. – and your new host will take care of the rest.
If you’d like to learn more about moving your website to a new host, you can check out HostsRated.com, a great resource for answers to all your web hosting questions.
What steps do I need to take in order to transfer my website to a different host and domain?
To submit a request to migrate to a new web host, you usually just need to provide the details of your old host, such as the hostname, control panel login, and FTP login. After that, your new web host should take care of the rest.
What is the time frame for transferring a website to a new host?
The average website migration usually takes between 30 minutes and three hours. This is dependent on how much planning was put into it and can range from weeks to months.
Is it possible to transfer my website from GoDaddy to a different hosting provider?
You can transfer a website to another server using a backup created in GoDaddy Pro, but you have to enable Premium Backups first in order to duplicate the website.
What is the process of transferring a website from one host to another in cPanel?
1. Set up cPanel & WHM on your new server.
2. Transfer all accounts to the new server.
3. Power off your old server.
4. Alter the main IP address of the new server to that of the old server.
5. Ensure that you hold a valid cPanel license.
6. Modify the IP address of all accounts to the appropriate IP address.